J N V Wynad functioning under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Dept. of School Education and Literacy, Govt. of India is the 14th JNV to be established in Kerala, and one among the 575 spread across the country. Established on June 22nd, 2005, the Vidyalaya functioned in the godowns of North Malabar District Cooperative and Marketing Society till May 31st, 2009. The temporary godowns were renovated and used for 4 years from 2005 to 2009 with LAD funds to the tune of Rs. 36 Lakhs allotted by Shri.K.K.Ramachandran Master, former MLA and Health Minister of Kerala. During academic year 2005-06, 80 students were admitted but in subsequent batches only 40 have been admitted. The school has been affiliated to CBSE, the affiliation number being 940014.
The Phase I construction of this JNV estimated at Rs.828.28 lacs has been completed and the school started functioning wef 1st June, 2009 in the new sylvan and picturesque surroundings located amidst hillocks and a perennial stream.
On 8th Sep. 2010, the Vidyalaya buildings were formally inaugurated through video conferencing from Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi by Smt. Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, National Advisory Council, in the presence of Hon’ble Minister of HRD Shri. Kapil Sibal, Anshu Vaish, the Secretary, School Education and Literacy, and Shri. Manoj Singh, the Commissioner, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, New Delhi.
The Vidyalaya is situated 14 km away from Kalpetta towards Calicut route adjacent to Veterinary College in a 25 acre plot at Pookode Dairy site,
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya
Vythiri, Wayanad. 673576
Phone 04936 256688(Off) and 04936 256699 (fax). Email : ,
The following are the objectives of the functioning of this JNV:
- To achieve academic excellence qualitatively and quantitatively right from Class VI
- To provide quality education with available technological support.
- To ensure students become reasonably competent in three languages viz. Hindi, English & Malayalam.
- To inculcate in students the component of culture & values and the spirit of National Integration.
- To serve as focal point in the district by carrying out pace-setting activities.
- To provide optimum opportunities to the students to develop innate qualities.
- To organize co-curricular activities & sports activities that would lead to over all personality development of the child.
- To create awareness of the environment and sense of belongingness in the child.